Radio Ordering and Setup
Radio Communication Information:
Our goal is to have an enjoyable day driving our Miatas. Your fun will be enhanced by obtaining a two-way radio that has the communication specification listed below. During a run we pass along driving instructions and warnings of traffic conditions to enhance the fun and safety of the event. There is also chatter about all the great sights and what ever else may come to mind.
- The club is now using a dual Band handheld FM radio that will deliver secure reliable communications. It is recommended switching over to a 136-174mhz (VHF) 400-520mhz (UHF) Amateur (Ham) Portable Two-Way FM radio with Digital-Coded Squelch (DCS). The brand and model recommended is the Baofeng UV-82HP High Power UHF and VHF 8 Watt output radio. However, any radio that has the frequency and DCS (a privacy feature) specifications of the UV-82HP will suffice.
- Be sure to use the radios in a safe manner and mount or tuck them in a way that does not hinder driving .
- The use of a remote microphone while driving is advised per the hand held device law passed in 2017.
Do you need a radio license to operate these FM radios?:
- Yes, a license is required to operate these radios and SDMC has an FCC group license.
Ordering your Baofeng UV-82HP Radio and getting it up and running:
- The Baofeng UV-82HP radio has been tried and true since 2019 and is available via Amazon at . It is available in 5 colors and comes in a box which includes everything you need to communicate on a SDMC run.
Now that you have your radio in hand, what do I do with it? Well, take it out of the box, attached the antenna, install the clip if desired and charge it in the charging cradle. It has been suggested that it is better on the battery to not leave the radio in the charging cradle for days on end. Place it the cradle the night before runs. Just remember to take it with you for the run.
- Turn the radio on and make sure it actually works, the lights will come on, the display will display something you may not understand and READ the manual. You are still going to be confused, because there are a lot of frequencies and capabilities of this radio.
- This radio is a programmable unit and needs to be configured to SDMC parameters. Send an e-mail to our group of volunteer Radio Programmers to have your radio programmed. Please tell us the area of the county you live in or the next event or meeting you will be attending. We have members thoughout the county, so someone may very well be in your neighborhood. A programming member will respond and you can make arrangements to get the radio configured. You can also make arrangement to have them program your radio before a run. Just let them know and get there early.
- Your radio will then be ready to use on the next event/run, have fun, use common sense, be courteous and obey the law.
Ordering other radios:
- As stated above, you are welcome to purchase any radio that meets the capabilities of the Baofeng UV-82HP. The issue may be that our programmers know how to program the UV-82HP and may not be able to provide help.
- One such radio that has been mentioned and purchased by members is the Baofeng UV-5R. Please note, the long antenna is a “copy” and the microphone does not include the 3.5mm auxiliary output to couple to your factory radio. However, it is less expensive.